There's nothing quite like the comforting aroma of a pot roast coming through the house on a cozy relaxing day. This classic pot roast recipe is a time-tested favorite that's perfect for family gatherings or a cozy dinner at home. With tender, melt-in-your-mouth beef, savory vegetables, or mashed potatoes and a rich, flavorful gravy, it's a dish that never goes out of style.
Pot Roast Perfection.
For the Pot Roast:
- 3-4 pounds chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small red bell pepper chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper chopped - 2 bay leaves - 1 teaspoon g-way dried thyme - Salt and black pepper, to taste - 2 cups beef broth
For the Brown Gravy: - 2 tablespoons butter - 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp browning sauce
1. Sear the Roast: Turn on the Instant Pot and select the "Sauté" function. Heat the olive oil in the pot. Season the chuck roast generously with salt and black pepper. Once the oil is hot, sear the roast on all sides until it's nicely browned. This step adds flavor to the meat. Remove the roast and set it aside.
2. Sauté Onions, peppers, and Garlic: In the same Instant Pot, add the chopped onions, peppers, and minced garlic. Sauté for a couple of minutes until they become fragrant and start to soften.
3. Deglaze the Pot: Pour in 1 cup of beef broth and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits. This adds flavor to the gravy.
4. Add Remaining Ingredients: Return the seared roast to the Instant Pot. Add the bay leaves, and dried thyme. Pour in the remaining 1 cup of beef broth.
5. Pressure Cook: Close the Instant Pot lid, set the valve to the "Sealing" position, and select the "Pressure Cook" or "Manual" function. Set the cooking time to 30-60 minutes on high pressure, depending on the thickness of your roast. It will take some time to come to pressure before the cooking time starts.
6. Natural Release: Once the cooking time is complete, allow the Instant Pot to naturally release the pressure for about 15-20 minutes. Then, carefully switch the valve to "Venting" to release any remaining pressure.
7. Make the Brown Gravy: In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the all-purpose flour to create a roux. Cook the roux for a few minutes until it turns a light brown color.
8. Add Drippings: Carefully ladle about 1-2 cups of the liquid from the Instant Pot into the saucepan with the roux. Whisk continuously until the mixture thickens to your desired consistency. If the gravy is too thick, you can add more of the liquid from the Instant Pot.
9. Serve: Remove the bay leaves from the Instant Pot, and then slice or shred the pot roast. Serve it with the vegetables and the homemade brown gravy.
This classic pot roast recipe is a timeless favorite that brings warmth and comfort to your table. With its tender beef, aromatic vegetables, and savory gravy, it's a dish that's sure to become a cherished tradition in your family. Whether it's a special occasion or a simple weeknight dinner, pot roast is always a crowd-pleaser. Enjoy!